"We can take so many things for granted, but just taking a breath of gratitude for the important things in life helps me to experience little moments of 'joie de vivre' throughout the day."The ethereal warm and fuzzy words above come from Chip Conley, the CEO and creator of Joie de Vivre Hotels, California's premiere line of boutique accommodation.
Now it may seem like I am turning in the same homework for two different classes by doing a blog about this company given that our last Thursday's vlog (fail, btw) was about the same hotel chain, but the video was a way to check out their newest property in our neck of the woods (where we hope to host some trainings). But in actuality this is totally legal since today I am writing about the chain in general or rather its business philosophy.... or rather that of its dreamy idealist of a CEO, inspirational hope-giving speaker and author.
"When I came up with the hard-to-pronounce, harder-to-spell name for this company - Joie de Vivre - twenty years ago, ... I was looking for a little "joy of life" in my career... Soon, "creating opportunities to celebrate the joy of life" became our mission statement and the mantra CREATE JOY® became our operating philosophy both inside and outside of work.... Our goal is to create a little more joy in your life because we know you will pass that joy on to someone else. It's our own version of 'karmic capitalism.'''....oh my gosh i was looking through the JdV HOTELS member rewards program and they offer surfing lessons as a benefit... they actually offer surfing lessons!!!! and you wonder why i have a crash on this guy .......... reading further i see that higher ranked rewards include backpacking to half dome at Yosemite and a year's worth of chocolate!!!!! who is this guy????
But before I get too far afield of this blogs intent, I also want to mention the first hotel in their chain that i ever patronized. It is lyrically named The White Swan Inn and is located on the fringes of Nob Hill. I used to walk by it every day when living up the street (above a pizzeria no less) and always thought I would love to stay there.
Later in life, when i had fingers in several pies all at once, I would routinely steal away to The White Swan to work.... more like hunker down in my pillow & comforter laden 4-poster bed and brainstorm to the dancing flames of my room's fireplace. The complimentary breakfasts here are amazing and having tea or wine and cheese in the library is worth the modest overnight rate in and of itself.
To refer to this gem of a B&B as a 'value' or 'deal' somehow Walmartizes what is a charming and gracious experience. But the fact remains that The White Swan and its JdV neighbor Le Petit Auberge boast some of the most reasonable rates in the downtown San Francisco area. I have stayed at I believe five JdV properties, and while I have enjoyed them all, I left my heart at The White Swan.
And now knowing what I do about the ideals and motivations that drive the company, I am more joyous and ever to call myself a devotee and loyal customer. In fact we have Culture Camp on the books next Spring in SF... perhaps we should book ourselves in at The White Swan... hmmmmm.
Till tomorrow,
Joy
138.5




0 comments:
Post a Comment