Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Latest Angle on Beauty: CURVES


More than 2 1/2 years ago Stylist.com posted this welcome blurb: 
"Here at Stylelist we try to make sure we do a good job of covering fashion for all sizes. We can't say that we were ever big fans of the super size zero trend because of the insane amount of pressure it puts on normal non-celeb women to be unhealthy in their quest for thinness. So, we're relieved to hear cries from the rooftops that size zero is back out and curves are back in! 
The proof is in the pudding. Karl Lagerfeld was recently quoted after sending girls away from a casting because, 'They looked as if they had grown up in a Third World country with no food to eat.'"  (Stylist.com on Curves)
... yet the bulk of mainstream America has yet to completely catch on to the trend... To be fair, changing the direction of the behemoth battleship that is 'general consensus' is not the work of a moment.  

It is not just that Americans are skewing obese... and yes, we are, but that is quite another story if not debate.  But the point here is that pop culture has actually, FINALLY, tired of the waif-look.  Think of the latest buxom body icon, Mad Men's Christina Hendricks, and you'll grasp the new pinup paradigm... or picture my longtime model of beauty, Salma (Hayek would be her last name, but owing to my awestruck worship I always refer to her by first name only). 

The UK Times Online article referenced above by Stylist had this to say back in October 2008:
“Much of the fashion industry is tired, constricted, suffocating,” Leon observes. “It’s time to break away from these gaunt, miserable girls. There are many people who are unimaginative and afraid to go out on a limb. It just upsets me so much that beautiful, perfect girls like Daisy worry that they aren’t thin enough when prestigious magazines won’t book someone like her because she doesn’t fit the typical thing.”
Not only is this trend blossoming in the world of dress, but in undress as well.  Check out popular burlesque entertainer Dirty Martini, who embraces and flaunts her soft body.  If she has 6-pack abs they are loving embraced by womanly full-figured flesh.

Per Wikipedia:
Dirty Martini (born Linda Marraccini in New Jersey) is a New York City-based Burlesque dancer, pin-up model and dance teacher.
She is best-known for her over-the-top performance acts, which mostly incorporate various classic burlesque styles such as the fan dance, balloon strip tease, the Dance of Several Veils, and shadow stripping, as well as her 50s styled pin-up images.
Martini regularly performs in New York City and extensively throughout North America and Europe in a wide range of venues from Carnegie Hall to weekly burlesque venues to gay leather bars.  She was crowned Miss Exotic World 2004.

Now while I have no desire to strip down onstage... and my interest in pasties leans toward the high tea meat pie variety, I am nonetheless heartened by the quietly growing trend that indicates an appreciation of the aesthetics that make a woman womanly!  I myself gained 35 pounds following a cycling accident and I am debating just how much I intend to shed.  I do need to firm up and would like to do something about my in-the-way stomach; but I really do not care to lose all I gained.  My friends thought I appeared gaunt pre-accident anyway!  Gad, does that mean the newer curvier modality battleship has actually weighed anchor?





0 comments:

Post a Comment