Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It Isn't Easy Going Green

After 15 years of flirting with the idea I finally DID it!
OK it took my vehicle's taking its last breath to do it, but who's keeping score.
On November 1st I actually got rid of my car... and I  live in the greater Los Angeles area... where our metropolis is more like meet-all-over-the-place and one can easily log a hundred miles a day just by running errands.

My goal in going sans motorized wheels is twofold .... yes, I have been wanting to do my bit to help the environment, but there is also the idea of social experimentation wrapped up in it somewhere.  And so.... I intend to pedal a bit, which I did on Monday with great success... riding along a waterway and basking in God's gift of nature.  


Then there was my first bus trip.... where, when waiting for the 61, I was asked out on a date by a non-rider!!!!  Not a bad way to start things off!  The bus ride was just as I had hoped and expected, a potpourri of society. I already have the beginnings of blisters from neglecting to wear proper shoes during the mile walk from bus stop to home, but so far I am eager, nearly jubilant for all that this experience holds.

It is not that the challenge is a 'cakewalk' - to be frank, I have already had to change my schedule and curtail some activities; and living where I do is not really conducive to life without the convenience of a car, especially that I am about to launch a lug-stuff-around business, but I am grateful for the opportunity to check something off my life list while potentially helping our dear planet just a wee bit.

Already I have found the need for greater efficiency in errand planning is affording me more time at home i.e. work. Also, I no longer have the luxury of volunteering to transport people to and from the airport or be the one to pick up and drop off friends when going on an outing with them.  And I look forward to beginning yet another experiment by implementing a workout-at-home routine since the gym is now unfeasibly far away.

So far, the only foreseeable drawback is the potential loss of my beloved frozen yogurt fix as I have yet to figure a way to get it home prior to its melting like Elfaba. 

Oh, and lest I forget, I stand to save about $400 on gasoline... a month! So here's to saving some green by committing to green!

1 comment:

  1. So as we get to Earth Day - hows the grand experiment going? I've found google maps can be a real plus for organizing your day trips. iPhone even lets you plot mass transit or walking paths. Worked great in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete